Our Dogs

Click a name to visit
Tag
Sal
Nelly
Tilly
Rosie
visit our other two blogs Deb's Funny Bits
Alport History

sitemeter

Saturday, January 30, 2010

People ask

We often get asked what we look for and reading on the forum which I no longer contribute to.  But there's a topic on the alien look...I believe you are what you are influenced by and by that I mean you haven't complete control on what you breed and I have seen what were top class breeders now struggling, they introduced another line and they lost there look so to speak...Some of them will know it as well and some will continue to breed strength to strength until they end up with what I would class that none Stafford look, to me a Stafford expression which is often written in critiques as a keen expression, I like to call it an intense look a Stafford should not be all Teddy bear like and cute, he should look alert and lively .....My real pet hate is the the new look of a Monkey cant explain fully what it means it just appears to be completely away from the Stafford, huge domed head with way to round eyes that nearly bulge, the head being to round so cheek bumps have become to rounded into the mass of the head and the nose looks like its in between the eyes because its to short...Many years ago I would of favoured a stronger heavier Stafford but I couldn't breed them so as time went by we were moulded by what our girls produced and what a blessing as today I look at some of the dogs we have bred and can appreciate the whole picture rather than just the head as so many people in this breed are driven by heads
So we go along to a show and I would be viewing dogs from the ring side, I'm not looking at dogs stacked as I'm not interested, I'm looking for that natural stance I'm looking how they interact and if they seem happy and alert and I will always watch to see them move, I'm looking for something a bit special to hit me and unfortunately this doesn't happen very often but if I see one I will home in on him and watch his every move and if he ticks all the boxes, balance is right, good expression and moved great you mark him down and look up his pedigree if you can... Have to say though I have become so particular its a rarity now days to home in one... But anyway I'm posting what would be a look of a dog that would do it for me, the dog isn't in stacked mode or pose mode but he looks great, everything about him screams Stafford and the balance is second to none, nothing over done or out of place all his proportions fit as they should and he looks alert and keen as he should, his head is in complete balance and again the proportions are perfect as he doesn't look like he wearing a baseball cap on backwards and his muzzle length is bang on and if you just saw his head you would know he is a male as again some have such a soft look now its hard to tell some times ....This totally depicts my impression of the Stafford

Photobucket

No comments:

News

  • We do count - I love the dogs and home life..But are we not all under pressure to make ends meet...Doesn't matter how much you earn extra you can spend it right. And I w...
    12 years ago